Trustee Area 2 Board Vacancy Announcement
On October 7, 20220, the Chaffey Community College District Governing Board voted to utilize the Provisional Appointment Process set forth in California Education Code section 5091 in order to fill a vacant Board Seat in Area 2. The Area 2 seat is vacant due to Board member Katherine Roberts’ October 1, 2020, retirement. Trustee Area 2 includes Montclair, Upland, a portion of Rancho Cucamonga and unincorporated county areas north of Upland and south of Montclair. The map can be viewed at this link. The individual who the Board appoints will serve through March 8, 2022.
If you are interested in submitting an application to be considered to fill the Area 2 vacancy, please visit the Chaffey website at http://www.chaffey.edu. You can submit your application through the website.
Applications are due by 1:00 p.m. on November 12, 2020. After you submit your application, the District will send you a Candidate Information Sheet, which must be returned to the District within five business days. You will receive detailed instructions regarding the submission of the Candidate Information Sheet when it is sent out.
The Governing Board will interview candidates, in open session, during a Special Board meeting on November 23, 2020, at 6:30 p.m., and it anticipates voting to make the provisional appointment at the same meeting. The appointee will be sworn in and take office at the November 23 Special meeting, and he or she will serve until the next regularly scheduled Board election on March 8, 2022.
Interested candidates must have the ability and time to fulfill the responsibilities of being a member of the Board, which include:
- Participate fully in the work of the Board, which includes attending all Board meetings and key District events, studying and discussing policy issues, and participating in Board education programs;
- Be knowledgeable about the communities served by the District and be willing to act on behalf and for the benefit of those communities;
- Be committed to community colleges and their missions; understand educational, social and economic policy issues;
- Engage in balancing the needs of many diverse groups; be able to collaborate and build consensus;
- Contribute to effective functioning of the Board and support the authority of the Board as a whole; and
- Set and explore policies that are linked with District planning and budget cycles.
To be eligible to serve as a member of the Chaffey Governing Board, an applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a citizen of the State of California;
- Be a resident of Trustee Area 2;
- Be a registered voter; and
- Not be disqualified by the Constitution or laws of the State of California from holding a civic office
Board members who attend Governing Board meetings receive $400 per month. Board members are also eligible to receive District health and welfare benefits.
Please visit http://www.chaffey.edu for more details.
Chaffey Community College is a public community college District located in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Chaffey offers courses in Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana, and Chino. Chaffey also offers courses online.
Julie Sanchez or Eva Ramirez
Executive Assistants to the President/Superintendent