Hero image for USA Flag
USA Flag

Veteran Services

You've served your country through the U.S. Armed Forces and now you're ready to explore the educational benefits available to you. Our staff in the veteran services office can help.

Our department serves as a liaison between veteran students and the Department of Veteran Affairs. Veteran services is equipped to assist veteran students with the appropriate forms to process claims for veteran educational benefits. The office is also an information center to assist with any questions concerning veteran educational benefits or educational experiences at Chaffey College.

Notice: Active Duty Service Members Prior to Enrollment at Chaffey College
You are required to speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service prior to enrolling at our institution.  The ESO and related staff can assist in providing information and options regarding furthering your education.  After meeting with your ESO or related counselor, Chaffey College is happy to further discuss educational pathways, enrollment options, and related information.

Veterans, active duty service members and members of the National Guard may be eligible for priority registration. Register today and then contact the veterans certifying official at (909) 652-6611 to request information on priority registration.


Laura Rodes, veterans certifying official
(909) 652-6611

Chaffey College
Veterans Resource Center/Veteran Services
5885 Haven Avenue, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002
Veteran services is located in the Veterans Resource Center, administration building, Room 125.

Hours: The VRC in person hours are Mondays and Tuesdays 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; Wednesdays and Thursdays remotley, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Fridays we are closed.

The VRC virtual lobby is a space for our veteran and military-affiliated students to stop in for quick general questions or support in connecting to other campus resources.
Virtual lobby Hours M-Th from 9 am to 3:00 pm.

VRC Virtual Lobby

Becoming a Student

As a military veteran, you are joining servicemen and servicewomen from all branches of the military who are pursuing an education at Chaffey College and/or preparing to transfer to a university. To help you get started, we have put together a checklist to prepare for admission and registration. We’ve also included a list of important phone numbers and websites, as well as policies and useful information. If you should have any questions or get stuck at any stage of the process, please call Laura Rodes, (909) 652-6611 or laura.rodes@chaffey.edu.

  1. Apply for admission
  2. If you need access to a computer, please visit the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) or the admissions office at any of our three campuses.
  3. Apply for veteran educational benefits (if applicable) at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or by using the VA educational benefits application.
  4. Schedule an appointment with the veterans certifying official at Chaffey College. Contact Laura Rodes at (909) 652-6611.
  5. Bring the following to your appointment:
  6. Chaffey Student ID# and government-issued photo ID
  7. VA education benefits documents (bring application confirmation page or certifying of eligibility or Post 9/11 statement of benefits)
  8. Form DD214 (discharge documents), Member 4, OR Form DD2384 - Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) for reservists
  9. Veteran program check (obtained from the Veterans Resource Center)
  10. Chaffey veteran information card
  11. Active/reserve military identification (if applicable)
  12. Eligibility notice (for dependents, survivors or reservists)
  13. Apply for Financial Aid
  14. In addition to your VA educational benefits, you may be eligible for other types of financial assistance including enrollment fee waivers, grants, loans and scholarships. To be considered for federal or state financial aid, you must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form.
  15. Submit Official Military and College Transcripts to Admission & Records Department (if applicable)
  16. Arrange for your official military transcripts and official transcripts from colleges previously attended (if any) to be sent to Chaffey College as soon as possible and contact admissions and records to confirm receipt. You can request Army, Navy/Marine, Air Force, or Coast Guard transcripts online.
  17. Then, submit a “Request for Course Evaluation of External Transcripts” form to counseling and “Request for Unit Evaluation of Transcripts” form to admissions and records.
  18. Schedule a Chaffey College new student orientation for veterans - This orientation will introduce you to Chaffey College, its policies and procedures and information regarding your GI Bill. The orientations are held at the Rancho Campus and you can schedule your orientation by making an online request. *Veteran NSO preferred
  19. Schedule and take the Math & English Placement (if applicable) - to schedule a placement for both English and math, visit the counseling website to view the times and dates available at all campuses. This step is needed to receive proper English and math courses and/or prioritized registration.
  20. Schedule an appointment with a veterans counselor - During your appointment a counselor will prepare a veteran program check identifying any credits transferred from other colleges and the specific courses required for your program of study at Chaffey. Appointments: (909) 652-6235.
  21. Registration/Selecting Classes - Note: Due to recent state legislation, veterans, active duty service members and members of the National Guard may be eligible for priority registration. After submitting your Chaffey College application, notify the certifying official, Laura Rodes, at (909) 652-6611 and request information on priority registration. Register online using My Chaffey Portal. Go to the Chaffey College homepage and click on My Chaffey Portal. If you need access to a computer, please visit the Veterans Resource Center on the Rancho Cucamonga campus or the admissions office at any of our three campus locations.
  22. Pay Fees - Use My Chaffey Portal by visiting Chaffey's home page and click on My Chaffey Portal or visit our Rancho Cucamonga, Chino or Fontana campuses or arrange a payment plan.
  23. Obtain a Parking Permit - Parking permits can be purchased through MyChaffeyVIEW. Once parking permits are ordered and paid for they will be mailed to the student’s official address within three to five days from the date of purchase. If you do not receive your parking permit in the mail, please notify the cashier’s office immediately to verify status of the order.

Contact the department during office hours at (909) 652-6235.

Educational Benefits and Financial Aid

All veterans and eligible dependents who wish to receive VA educational benefits while attending Chaffey College are required to meet with the veteran certifying official to begin the process.

For additional assistance and to schedule an appointment with Laura Rodes, call (909) 652-6611 or email laura.rodes@chaffey.edu. 

Dependents of eligible service-connected veterans may participate in the fee-waiver program. Information is available from the California Department of Veterans Affairs. In addition to benefits specifically intended for veterans and eligible dependents, you may also qualify for federal and state student aid, educational loans and privately-funded scholarships. For more information, contact the Financial Aid staff at the Rancho Cucamonga, Chino or Fontana campus. 

Dependents of eligible service-connected veterans may participate in the fee waiver program. For more information, please visit the Cal Vet website or call 800-952-5626. 


Veteran Specific Information

Visit our admissions page to apply for Chaffey College.

To activate your Veteran Administration Benefits, you will need to have the following documents on file in our office:

  • Application confirmation or change in place of training
  • Form DD214 Member 4/Service 2 (discharge documents)
  • Veteran program check (obtained from the Veterans Resource Center counseling office)
  • Chaffey veteran information card
  • Certificate of eligibility letter (for dependents, survivors or reservists).

Information on additional benefits for California veterans is available at California Division of Veterans’ Affairs.

Unit load = Percentage of full time
12 or more units = Full time
9 to 11.5 units = Three-quarter time
6 to 8.5 units = Half time
Less than 6 units = Tuition and fees only

The Chapter 33 monthly housing allowance is based on rate of pursuit. For more information regarding rate of pursuit monthly housing allowance, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs, 888-442-4551.

Summer Session
Varies from year to year. Contact the veteran services school certifying official for the latest information. 


Chapter 30

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty - assists students who entered active duty for the first time after July 1, 1985, and who agreed to have their pay reduced by $100 for 12 months. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge and active-duty personnel must have served at least two years to be eligible to use their benefits. 

36 months

Chapter 31

Vocational rehabilitation for disabled vets

48 months

Chapter 32

Veterans Educational Assistance Program - extends benefits to active-duty personnel and veterans who enlisted in the military between January 1, 1977 and July 11, 1985. Veterans must have been released under conditions other than dishonorable. Individuals must have contributed voluntarily to an educational fund through monthly pay reductions of $25 to $100, up to a maximum of $2,700. Contributions are matched at the rate of two dollars for each dollar contributed. Eligibility to enroll in VEAP ended on March 31, 1987.


Chapter 33

Post 9/11 - The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

36 months

Chapter 34/30

Montgomery GI Bill - Vietnam-era education program

36 months

Chapter 35

Survivors and dependents educational assistance - provides educational benefits to spouses and children of veterans who either died while in service, died as a result of a service-connected disability or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of their military service. Spouses have 10 years from the date of the veteran’s effective date of permanent and total disability rating or the veteran’s death. Dependents’ benefits end on their 26th birthday or eight years from the veteran’s effective date of permanent or total disability rating or the veteran’s death, but not after the dependent’s 31st birthday.

45 months (if benefits began prior to Aug 1, 2018. 36 months effective Aug. 1, 2018

Chapter 1606

Montgomery GI Bill - Selected reserve - available for members of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

36 months

Chapter 1607

Reserve educational assistance program (REAP) - established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.

36 months


Veteran Administration Regional Office
11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif. 90024
Official Website: 

GI Bill®
General Benefits Information 800-827-1000
Education National Call Center 888-442-4551

Department of Veterans Affairs
8575 Haven Avenue Suite 160 
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737
Phone: Michael Baca, 909-948-6473

EDD Office of Rancho Cucamonga
9650 9th Street, Suite A 
Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. 91730 

Veteran Employment Representative:
Carl Reed, 909-948-6610 

The Career Center assists students and members of the community in formulating their career goals by assessing their interests, aptitudes, values and personality type to help them make educated career choices. Staff also hold workshops on interview techniques, resume writing, career networking opportunities, provide a career resource library and much more. Information: (909) 652-6511

Student health services can assist you in maintaining mental and physical health while you are a student at Chaffey College. Your $17 health fee allows you to visit our medical doctors, nurse practitioner, marriage and family therapist registered nurse and licensed vocational nurse free of charge. The only additional fees are those related to low-cost laboratory tests, immunizations, and medications if they are indicated. Information: (909) 652-8190

The Chaffey College Success Center network of services can provide you with the tools to succeed in college, careers, and life. 

Contact them during business hours in the following ways. Option 1: Using the Ocelot chat box in the lower right hand corner of your screen while on the Chaffey College website. Option 2: Go to the Canvas Success Center Home Page and click on the hyperlinked title of the Success Center Zoom room. 

During non-business hours. Fill out this contact form and a Success Center staff member will contact you within 24-48 hours. 

The Transfer Center provides information and resources to help students continue their education after Chaffey College. The Center maintains a library of college catalogs and reference materials provides access to the internet and specialized software programs for college research and applications, hosts college representatives for individual appointments and students, sponsors transfer related workshops, schedules campus visits, and college fairs. All services are free and available to any Chaffey student. Information: (909) 652-6932.

Located in the Chaffey College Library, the Writing Center is ready to serve you. Their central mission is to help students become more effective and more confident writers. Center instructors and tutors help student writers improve their skills by developing learning and writing strategies that take students through each stage of the writing process. Information: (909) 652-6821.

Scholarship Opportunities

CPT JAMES AHN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIPCPT James Ahn Special Forces Memorial Scholarship
The CPT James Ahn Special Forces Memorial is an annual scholarship for a student who has served in the U.S. Army Special Forces and is currently a full time student.   The award is for $1000.   For more information and/or to apply please click on the following link https://rotcconsulting.com/cpt-james-ahn-memorial-scholarship/ 

Download the flyer for more information




Frequently Asked Questions


  • Chapters 30 and 1606 beneficiaries must verify enrollment on the last calendar day of each month you are in school by phone or via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)
  • Notify the college veteran services office each semester you wish your educational benefits to be continued
  • Notify the college veterans office if you add/drop a class, or withdraw from college. NOTE: Those receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill® or dependents education assistance do not have to verify their attendance through WAVE. Your school certifying official is responsible for verifying your attendance with VA at the beginning of your term. You are responsible for ensuring that your school certifying official is aware of your enrollment, and any subsequent changes in your schedule.

Yes, if the courses are equivalent to courses needed for your education goal. Contact the college Veteran Services office for details and reporting requirements. 

Yes. If you are placed on academic/progress probation for three semesters, your VA education benefits will be suspended. 

There are two types of failing grades that you may receive for courses at Chaffey College. An F grade is an earned grade and you will not need to return the money. An FW grade is an unearned grade and you may have to return a prorated amount back to the VA. For more information regarding failing grades, please contact veteran services. Note: Your instructor will also be asked to verify your attendance.

Learn how to replace your DD215 online.

Fifteen units of credits can be awarded by this college for electives only. If you do not need elective courses for your education goal, these six units will not apply towards your college degree.

Once you have completed 12 units at Chaffey College and have a total of 30 semester units, the Admissions and Records Office will evaluate any military coursework on your Joint Service transcript (JST) for possible college credit (you will need to provide the Joint Service transcript)

The VA requires that you declare a major in order to receive VA education benefits. You can change your major in the future if necessary. 

Additional Resources


Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. A traumatic event is something horrible and scary that you see or that happens to you. During this type of event, you think that your life or others’ lives are in danger. You may feel afraid or feel that you have no control over what is happening. There are a variety of events that can cause PTSD including combat or military exposure. 


Veterans talking with veterans - "you are not alone" is a nationwide network of community based, non-clinical, veterans that lead support group meetings for those suffering from military trauma and seeking the fellowship of their peers. 

An international, nondenominational, multicultural community of PTSD and trauma survivors, offering support, education and understanding of the symptoms and treatment of PTSD using the latest research and scientific information about PTSD. Their focus is on raising awareness, providing education, and offering support to all trauma survivors. Fearless Nation has a virtual reality environment (VRE) online community that may provide a number of options for people with military and combat-related stress or PTSD


Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a significant health issue which affects service members and veterans during times of both peace and war. The high rate of TBI and blast-related concussion events resulting from current combat operations directly impacts the health and safety of individual service members. The impacts of TBI are felt within each branch of the service and throughout both the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care systems.

VA website that provides information, assistance and resources for veteran success in the home, in the workplace, on campus, and in the community.

An initiative launched by the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE) to promote the processes of building resilience, facilitating recovery and supporting reintegration of returning service members, veterans and their families.

The Disability Programs and Services office at Chaffey College is available to help students with a legally documented disability as well as conduct screening for a suspected disability. For more information please contact them at (909) 652-6379. 
Located in Campus Center West, room 21-A 

The support links on this page are primarily for those seeking information about types of trauma, trauma responses, ways of coping with stress, treatment approaches, and related mental health issues.

Information that deals with recognizing the signs of combat stress. 

The following is a listing of helpful local, state, and federal resources:
U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Extensive information on all VA related benefits and services such as Health Care, Education, Home Loans, Life Insurance, Location of facilities (includes street maps), legislation, FAQs, etc.

  • Benefits - 1-800-827-1000
  • Education & Training - 1-888-442-4551
  • Life Insurance - 1-800-669-8477
  • Special Issues:- 1-800-749-8387
  • Health Care - 1-877-222-VETS (8387)
  • Headstones/Markers - 1-800-697-6947
  • VA Inspector General - 1-800-488-8244
  • Suicide Prev. Hotline - 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • TDD - 1-800-829-4833

The office provides assistance with education, employment, property tax exemptions and assistance with applying for federal & state benefits.
San Bernardino County Veterans Affairs
13260 Central Avenue 
Chino, CA 91710
Phone: 909-465-5241

9650 9th Street, Suite A 
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 

Sam Jurado, 909-948-6638

Assistance with VA disability compensation and pension claims; transportation to VA hospitals and other services.

Information and assistance with unemployment benefits, contact information, VA Job Bank listings, career assessment, etc.

IAVA is dedicated to educating the public about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, advocating on behalf of those who have served, and fostering a community for troops, veterans, and their families. Membership is free.

A 24/7 resource for Military Members, Spouses, and Families.

WWP's mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors.

Transition resources are available to you through this website. You can access them before, during, or after military-to-civilian transition - whenever you need them!

For America's newest generation of veterans and the people who support them. Join a veterans-only online community to connect with people who know where you are coming from. Share your experiences and help others make the transition to civilian life.

Advances the clinical care and social welfare of U.S. veterans through research, education, and training on PTSD and stress-related disorders.

Aims to insure that all veterans have access to needed mental health care. VA Mental Health advances the principle that mental health care is an essential component of overall health care.