The Chaffey College Success Center network of services can provide you with the tools to succeed in college, careers, and life.
Watch this short orientation video to learn about the Success Center services available on Canvas.
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 8 PM
Friday: 10 AM - 4 PM
Saturday & Sunday: 10 AM - 3 PM
Download the image to view the Virtual Success Center Flyer
Need a study space? View the directions for reserving a study space station
|During Business Hours||During Non-Business Hours|
Option 1: Locate the Ocelot chat box in the lower right-hand corner of the screen and type one question at a time. You can ask Success Center questions at any time of the day.
Option 2: Go to the Canvas Success Center Home Page and click on the hyperlinked title of the Success Center Zoom room. You will fill out a brief survey and be redirected to the virtual Success Center where you can speak to a live staff member.
Option 2: Fill out this contact form and a Success Center staff member will contact you within 24 – 48 business hours.
Activities in the Online Success Center
You can fulfill your supplemental learning requirements with activities such as
- Workshops: Faculty-led groups (50 minutes)
- Learning Groups: Apprentice Tutor-led groups (50 minutes)
- Directed Learning Activities (DLAs): Instructor-designed activities that are completed independently and require tutor feedback for verification and proof of completion. (about 45-60 minutes)
To access these services, visit the virtual Success Centers, located in Canvas.
We also offer free tutoring in multiple subject areas. The Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) tutors are in the Success Centers. We also offer petition clearance for math and science courses.
Prepare for your online appointments by doing the following
- Make sure your webcam and microphone work.
- Have questions ready for your tutor.
- Prepare materials ahead of time, such as notes, textbook, and homework.
- Be ready to participate in the tutoring session with your tutor.
Success Center Policies
Students have the opportunity to participate in one tutoring session, one DLA review session, and one workshop or learning/conversation group per day per course.
Success Center tutors cannot provide you with feedback on quizzes, exams, or other assessments. If you have questions about this, please email the Instructional Specialist in advance of your appointment. Violating this policy is an infringement of academic integrity and will result in the notification of your instructor and the dean of the school and may result in an assignment or course failure or college expulsion.
Frequently Asked Questions
- You can make an appointment for tutoring, DLA review, workshops, learning groups, or conversation groups by logging into Canvas.
- Go to the Canvas Success Center Homepage.
- Look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Schedule Appointment button.
- After you have scheduled your appointment, you will receive an email with instructions on joining your appointment.
- Log into the Canvas Success Center Homepage 5-10 minutes prior to the start time.
- Scroll down to your subject area.
- Click on the blue hyperlink for the Success Center Zoom Room.
- After filling out a brief survey, you will join the Zoom room for your appointment.
- Log into Cranium Cafe using the Canvas logo and your Canvas login information.
- From the menu in the left column, click on “Cranium Cafe” and then click “My Cafe Appointments.”
- Your Success Center appointments will show up on this page and you can cancel your appointment.
- If you do not see an option to cancel your appointment, please contact us .
- You can find most Directed Learning Activities (DLAs) in Canvas.
- Follow the instructions to add the Success Center course to your Dashboard. You must join the Success Center course first to access DLAs.
- Go to the Canvas Success Center Homepage and look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Find Activities and Resources button.
- Click on Directed Learning Activities to see what is available online.
- If you cannot find the DLA you need to complete, go back to the homepage, click the Success Center Zoom Room link and the Center staff will help you.
- You can find tutors in the virtual Success Centers through Canvas.
- If you want to make a tutoring appointment, please see the question about appointments.
- You can try drop-in tutoring by going to the Canvas Success Center Homepage, looking for the Success Center that supports your subject area, and clicking the Success Center Zoom Room link. After filling out a brief survey, you will join the Zoom room as a walk-in.
- You can attend workshops or learning groups in the virtual Success Centers via Zoom.
- If you want to make a workshop appointment, please see the question about making appointments.
- You can join the workshop by going to the Canvas Success Center Homepage, looking for the Success Center that supports your subject area, and then clicking the Success Center Zoom Room link. After filling out a brief survey, you will enter the Zoom room.
- After you review a DLA with a tutor, the tutor will provide verification by awarding a badge or emailing a verification form to your panther email address.
- After you participate in an English workshop, the tutor will award a badge to you.
- Check your spam or junk folder for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can submit your badge URL or a screenshot of your verification form to your instructor as proof completing English activities.
- Watch the Success Center video on verification for information on how to share your badges with your instructors.
- After you review a DLA with a tutor, the tutor will send the verification form to your Panther email address.
- Do not leave the Success Center until you receive the verification form.
- If you do not see it, check your spam folder for an email from email@example.com.
- Review the steps that show how to upload the form to your instructor.
- Fill out the missing verification form survey. A staff member will check your attendance record and send you the verification within one business day.
- For English activities, fill out the missing verification form survey. A staff member will check your attendance record and send you the verification within three business days.
- If you are experiencing a problem with the Success Center Canvas course, appointment system, or Zoom, fill out this form. Someone will get back to you within 24 to 48 business hours.
- If you have not discussed Success Center accommodations with your counselor in DPS, please email them first at DPS.firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodations should be requested at least 24 business hours in advance for tutoring and a week in advance for workshops/learning groups. To request tutoring appointments with extended time, fill out this form, and someone from the Success Centers will get back to you within 24 to 48 business hours.
- STAR-CA tutors: This online tutor service is primarily made up of tutors who work at California Community Colleges. These tutors are familiar with the needs of community college students and are trained based on nationally-recognized tutor training standards. A list of subjects and tutor schedules is available. You have unlimited access to free STAR-CA tutoring. Please note these tutors do not review Directed Learning Activities (DLAs).
- Smarthinking Online Tutoring: This online tutor service is hosted by Pearson, a learning and publishing company and offers tutoring in a variety of subjects, including math, statistics, science, business, Spanish, computers and technology, nursing, health sciences, reading, and writing. Use the tabs at the top of the screen for tutoring or writing help. You have access to 5 hours of free Smarthinking tutoring. Please note these tutors do not review Directed Learning Activities (DLAs).
- Success Center tutors cannot provide feedback on your quizzes, exams, or other assessments. If you have questions about this, please email the Instructional Specialist in advance of your appointment. You can find the emails for the Instructional Specialists by scrolling down to the next section. Violating this policy is an infringement of academic integrity and will result in the notification of your instructor and the dean of the school, which may result in an assignment or course failure, or college expulsion.
- Yes, Success Center support is provided to all Chaffey students who are currently enrolled in at least one class.
- Tutoring will be provided no later than 30 minutes prior to closing. Fifteen-minute DLA review sessions will be provided no later than 15 minutes prior to closing.
- You have the opportunity to participate in one tutoring session, one DLA review session, and one workshop or learning/conversation group per day per course.
- Please arrive ten minutes prior to your appointment to ensure you have enough time to connect to the virtual Success Center and can troubleshoot technology problems.
- If you arrive more than one minute late to your tutoring appointment, it may be given to the next student waiting. You will be placed on the waiting list for the next available tutor.
- If you arrive more than three minutes late to a workshop or learning group, you will not be admitted to avoid disrupting the session.
- The Success Centers' tutors, PALs, DLAs, workshops, and learning groups will continue to be online for the Fall 2021 semester. All Success Center activities and support are offered virtually in Zoom and can be accessed via Canvas.
- The Petition Process begins with Admissions and the Math and Science Dean's Office.
- Students who require an approved petition to register in a course must complete the appropriate petition in the Admissions and Records forms section of the MyChaffey portal.
- (You are not required to complete the following until Spring 2022). If the Dean’s office requires you to complete activities, go to the STEM Success Center on Canvas and then click “STEM Petition Information.”
- (You are not required to complete the following until Spring 2022). Complete the steps to petition in order, starting with the Success DLA.
- PAL stands for Peer Assisted Learning. A PAL is a tutor, embedded in select sections of English 1A and English 1A Dual Enrollment. PAL tutors are located in the ACD Success Center, which can be found in Canvas.
- If you have a PAL assigned to your class section, you can find their name, availability and contact information in Canvas under your English course page.
- You can also find your PAL’s information by going to the ACD Success Center. The center staff can help you identify your PAL and their hours.
- Appointments with your PAL can be made through the PAL link on your English 1A course page in Canvas.
Specialists by Academic Career Community
To align with the College’s Guided Pathways transformation, starting Fall 2020, the Success Centers have been reorganized around the six Academic and Career Communities (ACC). The new ACC-aligned Success Centers will be led by the following Instructional Specialists.
If you are a prospective student, instructor, or staff member and have a question about the Success Centers, email an Instructional Specialist, and they will reply within 24 to 48 hours.
Arts, Communication, and Design Success Center
English, Spanish, ASL, ESL, Arabic, French, Chinese, and Music
Business, Technology, and Hospitality Success Center
Accounting, Business, CIS, and CS
Health, Wellness, and Athletics Success Center
Nursing, Kinesiology, Nutrition, and Rad Tech
Health, Wellness, and Athletics Success Center
Nursing, Kinesiology, Nutrition, and Rad Tech
Manufacturing, Industrial Design, and Transportation Success Center
Automotive, Aviation, Drafting, HVAC, and Electrical Technology
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Success Center
Statistics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics
Public Service, Culture, and Society Success Center
Psychology, Sociology, Social Science Statistics, Philosophy, Education, Economics, and Anthropology
Success Center Tutors
The Success Centers hire a diverse group of tutors who have various educational backgrounds to meet students' needs. Tutors may be peers who are also students at Chaffey, or undergraduate or graduate students at local colleges. Some Center tutors are faculty at Chaffey and/or other local colleges and universities. With the exception of faculty tutors, all subject-specific Success Center tutors are recommended by instructors and have successfully completed courses they support with an A or B grade. In addition, they participate in tutor training throughout each semester, including topics required by CRLA (an international tutor certification association) as well as multiculturalism, gender equality, neuro-atypical learners, and mental health.
Are you interested in working at the Success Centers? Currently, our tutors, student assistants, and Short-Term Workers work remotely. A computer and reliable internet connection are required. The interviews will be conducted online via Zoom. Please complete the interest form and attach your resume and unofficial transcripts.
Success Center Awards
The Success Centers have earned numerous awards, including
- The Board of Governors Award
- The statewide Academic Senate Innovations Award
- An Innovative English Program Award from the National Council for the Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Recognition from the state Chancellor’s Office for best practices in basic skills
- MetLife Award as part of the Opening Doors Program