The Chaffey College Success Center network of services can provide you with the tools to succeed in college, careers, and life.
Watch this short orientation video to learn about the Success Center services available on Canvas.
*The Success Centers will be
closed for Faculty Lecture Day on Tuesday, April 20
Hours of Operation
8am - 8pm Monday - Thursday
10am - 4pm Friday
10am - 3pm Saturday and Sunday
|During Business Hours||During Non-Business Hours|
Option 1: Locate the Ocelot chat box in the lower right-hand corner of the screen and type one question at a time. You can ask Success Center questions at any time of the day.
Option 2: Go to the Canvas Success Center Home Page and click on the hyperlinked title of the Success Center Zoom room. You will fill out a brief survey and be redirected to the virtual Success Center where you can speak to a live staff member.
Option 2: Fill out this contact form and a Success Center staff member will contact you within 24 – 48 business hours.
Activities in the Online Success Center
You can fulfill your supplemental learning requirements with activities such as
- Workshops: Faculty-led groups (50 minutes)
- Learning Groups: Apprentice Tutor-led groups (50 minutes)
- Directed Learning Activities (DLAs): Instructor designed activities that are completed independently and require tutor feedback for verification and proof of completion. (about 45-60 minutes)
*To access these services, visit the Success Centers, located in Canvas.
We also offer free tutoring in multiple subject areas. The Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) tutors for English classes are scheduled and located in our Success Centers. We also offer petition clearance for math and science courses.
Prepare for your online appointments by doing the following
- Make sure your webcam and microphone work.
- Have questions ready for your tutor.
- Prepare materials ahead of time, such as notes, textbook, and homework.
- Be ready to participate in the tutoring session with your tutor.
Success Center Policies
Students have the opportunity to participate in one tutoring session, one DLA review session, and one workshop or learning/conversation group per day per course.
Success Center tutors cannot provide you with feedback on quizzes, exams, or other assessments. If you have questions about this, please email the Instructional Specialist in advance of your appointment. Violating this policy is an infringement of academic integrity and will result in the notification of your instructor and the dean of the school and may result in an assignment or course failure or college expulsion.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Follow these instructions to add the Success Center course to your Dashboard. First, log into Canvas.
- In the Global Navigation Menu, click on Student Support and then click on Success Centers.
- Click on Join this Course, Enroll in Course, then Go to the Course.
- The Success Center Hub will be added to your Dashboard or Courses.
- You can make an appointment for tutoring, DLA review, workshops, learning groups, or conversation groups by logging into Canvas.
- Follow the instructions to add the Success Center course to your Dashboard.
- Look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Schedule Appointment button.
- After you have scheduled your appointment, you will receive an email with instructions on joining your appointment.
- Log into Canvas 5-10 minutes prior to the start time.
- Under Dashboard or Courses, click on Success Centers 2021 Spring. If you do not see Success Centers in your dashboard, go to the Student Support Hub and click on Success Centers.
- Scroll down to your subject area.
- Click on the blue hyperlink for the Success Center Zoom Room.
- After filling out a brief survey, you will join the Zoom room for your appointment.
- Log into Cranium Cafe using the Canvas logo and your Canvas login information.
- From the menu in the left column, click on “Cranium Cafe” and then click “My Cafe Appointments.”
- Your Success Center appointments will show up on this page and you can cancel your appointment.
- If you do not see an option to cancel your appointment, please contact us .
- You can find most Directed Learning Activities (DLAs) in Canvas.
- Follow the instructions to add the Success Center course to your Dashboard. You must join the Success Center course first to access DLAs.
- Look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Find Activities and Resources button.
- Click on Directed Learning Activities to see what is available online.
- If you cannot find the DLA you need to complete, click the Success Center Zoom Room link and the Center staff will help you.
- You can find tutors in the virtual Success Centers through Canvas.
- If you want to make a tutoring appointment, please see the question about appointments.
- You can try drop-in tutoring through the Success Center course.
- Look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Success Center Zoom Room link. After filling out a brief survey, you will join the Zoom room as a walk-in.
- You can attend workshops or learning groups in the virtual Success Centers via Zoom.
- If you want to make a workshop appointment, please see the question about making appointments.
- You can join the workshop through the Success Center course in Canvas.
- Look for the Success Center that supports your subject area. Then click the Success Center Zoom Room link. After filling out a brief survey, you will enter the Zoom room.
- Review the workshop schedule to plan the best time to attend.
- Log into Canvas, click on Student Support, then click on Success Centers.
- Locate the BTH Success Center.
- Click the blue hyperlink to enter the BTH Success Center Zoom Room.
- After you review a DLA with a tutor, the tutor will provide verification by awarding a badge or emailing a verification form to your panther email address.
- After you participate in an English workshop, the tutor will award a badge to you.
- You can submit your badge URL or a screenshot of your verification form to your instructor as proof completing English activities.
- Watch the Success Center video on verification for information on how to share your badges with your instructors.
- After you review a DLA with a tutor, the tutor will send the verification form to your Panther email address.
- Do not leave the Success Center until you receive the verification form.
- If you do not see it, check your spam folder for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review the steps that show how to upload the form to your instructor.
- Fill out the missing verification form survey. A staff member will check your attendance record and send you the verification within one business day.
- Please email the Instructional Assistant, Carla Castellaw at Carla.Castellaw@chaffey.edu. She will check your attendance record and send you the verification within two business days.
- If you are experiencing a problem with the Success Center Canvas course, appointment system, or Zoom, fill out this form. Someone will get back to you within 24 to 48 business hours.
- If you have not discussed Success Center accommodations with your counselor in DPS, please email them first at DPS.email@example.com. Accommodations should be requested at least 24 business hours in advance for tutoring and a week in advance for workshops/learning groups. To request accommodations, fill out this form, and someone from the Success Centers will get back to you within 24 to 48 business hours.
- STAR-CA tutors: This online tutor service is primarily made up of tutors who work at California Community Colleges. These tutors are familiar with the needs of community college students and are trained based on nationally-recognized tutor training standards. A list of subjects and tutor schedules is available. You have unlimited access to free STAR-CA tutoring. Please note these tutors do not review Directed Learning Activities (DLAs).
- Smarthinking Online Tutoring: This online tutor service is hosted by Pearson, a learning and publishing company and offers tutoring in a variety of subjects, including math, statistics, science, business, Spanish, computers and technology, nursing, health sciences, reading, and writing. Use the tabs at the top of the screen for tutoring or writing help. You have access to 5 hours of free Smarthinking tutoring. Please note these tutors do not review Directed Learning Activities (DLAs).
- Success Center tutors cannot provide feedback on your quizzes, exams, or other assessments. If you have questions about this, please email the Instructional Specialist in advance of your appointment. You can find the emails for the Instructional Specialists on this page. Violating this policy is an infringement of academic integrity and will result in the notification of your instructor and the dean of the school, which may result in an assignment or course failure, or college expulsion.
- Yes, Success Center support is provided to all Chaffey students who are currently enrolled in at least one class.
- Tutoring will be provided no later than 30 minutes prior to closing. Fifteen-minute DLA review sessions will be provided no later than 15 minutes prior to closing.
- You have the opportunity to participate in one tutoring session, one DLA review session, and one workshop or learning/conversation group per day per course.
- Please arrive ten minutes prior to your appointment to ensure you have enough time to connect to the virtual Success Center and can troubleshoot technology problems.
- If you arrive more than one minute late to your tutoring appointment, it may be given to the next student waiting. You will be placed on the waiting list for the next available tutor.
- If you arrive more than three minutes late to a workshop or learning group, you will not be admitted to avoid disrupting the session.
- All Success Center activities and support are offered virtually in Zoom. Success Centers at the physical campuses are closed until further notice.
- The Petition Process begins with Admissions and the Math and Science Dean's Office.
- Students who require an approved petition to register in a course must complete the appropriate petition in the Admissions and Records forms section of the MyChaffey portal.
- If the Dean’s office requires you to complete activities, go to the STEM Success Center on Canvas by logging into Canvas, clicking on Student Support, then click on Success Centers.
- Locate the STEM Success Center and click “Find Activities and Resources.” Click “STEM Petition Information.”
- Complete the steps to petition in order, starting with the Success DLA.
- PAL stands for Peer Assisted Learning. A PAL is a tutor, embedded in select sections of English 1A, English 1A Dual Enrollment and English 495.
- If you have a PAL assigned to your class section, you can find their name, availability and contact information in Canvas under your English course page.
- You can also find your PAL’s information by going to the ACD Success Center. First, log into Canvas, click Student Support, and then click Success Centers. Click on the hyperlink to join the ACD Success Center Zoom Room. The center staff can help you identify your PAL and their hours.
- Appointments with your English section’s PAL can be made through the PAL link on your English course page in Canvas.
- PAL appointments can also be scheduled through Canvas. Click on the Student Support hub, and then click Success Centers. Look for the ACD Success Center near the top of the page. Click on the “Schedule Appointment” button. Select your PAL's name when making an appointment.
Specialists by Academic Career Community
To align with the College’s Guided Pathways transformation, starting Fall 2020, the Success Centers have been reorganized around the six Academic and Career Communities (ACC). The new ACC-aligned Success Centers will be led by the following Instructional Specialists.
If you are a prospective student, instructor, or staff member and have a question about the Success Centers, email an Instructional Specialist, and they will reply within 24 to 48 hours.
Arts, Communication, and Design Success Center
English, Spanish, ASL, ESL, Arabic, French, Chinese, and Music
Business, Technology, and Hospitality Success Center
Accounting, Business, CIS, and CS
Health, Wellness, and Athletics Success Center
Nursing, Kinesiology, Nutrition, and Rad Tech
Health, Wellness, and Athletics Success Center
Nursing, Kinesiology, Nutrition, and Rad Tech
Manufacturing, Industrial Design, and Transportation Success Center
Automotive, Aviation, Drafting, HVAC, and Electrical Technology
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Success Center
Statistics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics
Public Service, Culture, and Society Success Center
Psychology, Sociology, Social Science Statistics, Philosophy, Education, Economics, and Anthropology
Success Center Tutors
The Success Centers hire a diverse group of tutors who have various educational backgrounds to meet students' needs. Tutors may be peers who are also students at Chaffey, or undergraduate or graduate students at local colleges. Some Center tutors are faculty at Chaffey and/or other local colleges and universities. With the exception of faculty tutors, all subject-specific Success Center tutors are recommended by instructors and have successfully completed courses they support with an A or B grade. In addition, they participate in tutor training throughout each semester, including topics required by CRLA (an international tutor certification association) as well as multiculturalism, gender equality, neuro-atypical learners, and mental health.
The Success Centers are now hiring for Summer and Fall 2021! Currently, the Success Centers are hiring for remote work; a computer and reliable internet connection are required. The interviews will be conducted online via Zoom. Please complete the interest form and attach your resume and unofficial transcripts.
Success Center Awards
The Success Centers have earned numerous awards, including
- The Board of Governors Award
- The statewide Academic Senate Innovations Award
- An Innovative English Program Award from the National Council for the Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Recognition from the state Chancellor’s Office for best practices in basic skills
- MetLife Award as part of the Opening Doors Program