Chaffey College can help you reach your academic and professional goals through the CalWORKs program, which serves families receiving various forms of public assistance. We help eligible students gain self-sufficiency through specialized counseling, subsidized employment, mentoring, advocacy and personal/professional development. You can reach your full potential through education and employment with our help.

Keep an eye on our CalWORKs calendar for important events.




(909) 652-6045 


Rancho Cucamonga campus

Administration (AD) - room 190

Monday - Thursday 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Friday  Closed

Hours are subject to change; call (909) 652-6045 ahead of your planned visit to confirm hours

*Addition information for current students can be found on the CalWORKs Canvas community

Chino campus

Chino Main Instructional Building (CHMB) - GPS Center, Room 240

Tuesday, 10:30 am - 6:00 pm

Hours are subject to change; call (909) 652-6045 ahead of your planned visit to confirm hours


Fontana campus

Support Staff: Ralph M. Lewis Center (FNLC) - Admissions and Records front desk

Counseling Appointments: Fontana Academic Center (FNAC) - Room 121

Thursday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Hours are subject to change; call (909) 652-6045 ahead of your planned visit to confirm hours


What is CalWORKs?

The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids program was established under Assembly Bill 1542 in response to federal welfare reform to Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF.) CalWORKs provides temporary cash aid assistance to families with dependent children in order to help meet basic needs. It also helps parents complete training programs to help families become self-sufficient.

The CalWORKs program at Chaffey College assists students who receive cash aid and are required to participate in Welfare-to-Work/GAIN. Students must be either enrolled, or plan to enroll in an academic program at Chaffey College and must be receiving cash aid for themselves as well as for their children. We provide educational planning services to students and collaborate with the San Bernardino County Transitional Assistance Department (TAD), Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS), and Riverside County DPSS to help students meet their Welfare-to-Work/GAIN requirements. Students meet with a counselor for completion of required documents (Individual Education Plans, training verifications for child care approval, attendance and progress reports, etc.) as well as for regular progress checks.

Types of Appointments Available

Students have the option to meet with a counselor in-person (requirements apply), via video, or by telephone. Please read the following important information for each type of appointment.

Expectations for all appointments  

Appointments and interactions with Counselors are intended for educational purposes only. To ensure that we are engaging in a safe, secure and respectful atmosphere with students, a counselor can end any counseling session at their professional discretion if a student is being disrespectful, inappropriate or does not have proper online etiquette for video, phone, in-person or chat sessions.  

Scheduling a Counseling Appointment

Counseling appointments are scheduled in ConexEd. If you have a student account via Canvas, you can sign in by selecting the Canvas Icon or the Chaffey Login Portal. If you do not have an account, you can create a guest account by clicking on guest and creating an account.

When making an appointment be sure to select the correct meeting location desired. For In-person locations there are three locations available: Rancho, Chino, and Fontana campus. Reference chart above for important information for each type of appointment you are scheduling.

Important: Please use your student panther account as mentioned above to sign in when making an appointment via ConexEd (Avoid using your account linked to your personal email).  This will ensure easy check-ins for in-person appointments and that all notes are in one place for you.


Who is Eligible?

  • Parents who receive cash aid for themselves as well as their dependent children (CalWORKs/TANF) and who have or are developing a Welfare-to-Work (WTW) Plan with their employment specialist (proof of benefits must be on file each semester).
  • Be in good standing with the county Transitional Assistance Department (TAD) or Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)
  • Self-Initiated Participants (SIPs)
  • Exempt volunteer CalWORKs recipients
  • Exempt CalWORKs recipients
  • Be enrolled at Chaffey College
  • Be in good academic standing with the college
  • Single or two-parent households who are meeting county Welfare-to-Work requirements


Who is Not Eligible?

  • Sanctioned CalWORKs students
  • Sanctioned student policy: If a student has been sanctioned during a semester, services can be provided until the end of the semester; sanction must be cured by the end of the semester to continue services for the next semester.
  • Parents who receive cash aid for their children only.
  • Recipients of CalFresh only (food stamps), not cash aid
  • “Timed-Out” of cash aid (reached the 40-month time limit and no longer eligible for cash aid)
  • Individuals receiving SSI
  • Tribal TANF


Additional Information

For additional information about CalWORKs work study, please contact the Chaffey College CalWORKs program for parents at (909) 652-6045, or visit the office located in the administration building (AD), room 190.