If working with prescriptions in hospitals, pharmacies, home healthcare settings and other locations interests you, consider a career as a pharmacy technician. Chaffey College offers both associate's degrees and certificates in this program.
This occupational program prepares students for work as pharmacy technicians. The
program provides both the technical and practical training that enables the technician,
upon licensure, to function as a competent entry-level assistant to the pharmacist.
Program curriculum consists of lecture and laboratory instruction in both simulated
and supervised clinical environment.
Upon successful completion of the pharmacy technician (PT) program, students are qualified to apply to the California State Board of Pharmacy for registration; registration is a legal requirement for work in California as a pharmacy technician. California law also allows for the denial of certification on the basis of any prior criminal convictions substantially related to pharmaceutical practice.
Enrollment in the pharmacy technician program is subject to completion of the following requirements:
- Admission to Chaffey College
- High school graduation, pass the GED test, or pass the High School Proficiency Examination, or have associates degree or higher. International transcripts must have AERC, IERF, or approved agency evaluation.
- Eligibility for MATH-410 as determined by the Chaffey placement process, or successful completion of MATH-520.
- Proof of high school or GED transcript turned in to admissions and records. We will
not accept a diploma.
- The college does not provide transportation to clinical facilities.
- Students must demonstrate satisfactory physical and emotional health, as determined by health examination and proof of immunizations.
- Students must possess a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate prior to clinical internship (PHARMT-482). Certificate may be the American Heart Association “Healthcare Provider with AED” or the American Red Cross “Professional Rescuer with AED.” The CPR card must be updated annually. Details about times and locations of CPR classes provided at information meetings.
- To continue in the Pharmacy Technician program, students must earn satisfactory grades (minimum of “C” in graded courses; “CR” in pass/fail courses) in all Pharmacy Technician and other required courses.
- Students with prior pharmacy technician education should contact the college Counseling Department to schedule a course evaluation.
- Students are strongly advised to be able to accurately keyboard at a rate of 35 wam or higher.
Degree and Certificate Programs
Requirements for the pharmacy technician associate of science and certificate programs are:
|Course Number||Course Title||Units|
|PHARMT 401||Pharmacology of the Body Systems I||3|
|PHARMT 402||Pharmacology of the Body Systems II||3|
|PHARMT 403||Principles of Community Pharmacy Practice||1.5|
|PHARMT 404||Principles of Institutional Pharmacy Practice||1.5|
|PHARMT 405||Sterile Products||2|
|PHARMT 410||Over-the-Counter Products||2|
|PHARMT 415||PHARMT 415||2|
|PHARMT 421||Community Pharmacy Operations||3|
|PHARMT 421L||Community Pharmacy Operations Laboratory||1|
|PHARMT 431||Institutional Pharmacy Operations||3|
|PHARMT 431L||Institutional Pharmacy Operations Laboratory||1|
|PHARMT 481L||Clinical Externship||4.5|
Questions and Answers
Why choose Chaffey College pharmacy technology?
The Chaffey College pharmacy technician program has all of the tools and equipment typically found in hospitals and retail pharmacies. In addition, Chaffey's state-of-the-art equipment enables students to learn the many facets of pharmacy including compounding and dispensing. Chaffey College is the place to learn modern pharmacy techniques and patient care skills.
The Chaffey College Health Center affiliates have enabled the pharmacy technician program to offer broadest professional career exposure.
Learn more about the pharmacy technology field through our pharmacy technology major sheet.
How do I get started?
First make an appointment to see a Chaffey College advisement center counselor and sign up for the prerequisites. The following should be completed for an application to be considered for admission:Possession of a high school diploma or have a GED, and official transcripts
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Previous college transcripts (if attended)
A copy of the current admissions criteria may be obtained in the advisement center.
What are the co-requisites?
HS 405 Computer Applications for Health Sciences
PT 400 Introduction to Pharmacy Technician
Eligibility for ENG/ESL 450 and MATH 410 by placement. The total units for the program are 22-27.
How long will it take to complete the program?
The Chaffey College pharmacy technician program consists of two semesters of full-time study or arranged by program coordinator.
What if I want to transfer to a 4-year college or university?
The Chaffey College pharmacy technician program provides high quality, intensive pharmacy technician education. Students who wish to continue their education may transfer to a 4-year college or university. Students should contact the school to find out which units will be transferred.
Use our guide to learn where you can obtain CPR certification in the area.