At Chaffey College we welcome, support, and value our students who are part of the LGBTQIA2S+ community! We are dedicated to empowering, advocating, and providing an inclusive space through educational programming, community partnerships, and faculty and staff engagement. Check out the resources below to learn ways to get connected at Chaffey College.
Equity Programs and Student Engagement Staff
Albert Rodriguez, EdD
Director, Equity Programs and Student Engagement
Yubel K. Svensson,M.S.O.L.
Coordinator, Equity Programs and Student Engagement
Lavender Celebration of Graduates (Spring Semester)
Are you graduating this year?
We’d love to have you participate in our Lavender Celebration where we recognize all the accomplishments of the LGBTQIA+ graduates here at Chaffey. The celebration includes a short ceremony, a recognition of graduates and some great company! Participating graduates will receive a rainbow stole and tassel. To learn more about how to participate, email an Equity and Engagement staff member.
Lavender Coalition (LGBTQIA+ and Allies Club)
The goal of the Lavender Coalition is to enhance and strengthen the LGBTQIA+ community and our allies by (GSA). Advocating for human and civil rights; educating and bringing awareness to the community; fortifying growth and collaboration in support of social equality; providing a safe place for all students; participating in virtual events.
LGBTQIA+ Advocates Committee
The LGBTQIA+ Advocates Committee advocates for a college-wide, coherent support of and resources for LGBTQIA+ students; advocates for and contributes to a climate of inclusion for members of the LGBTQIA+ faculty, staff, and administrators at Chaffey College; and collaborates with the various groups on campus who share the mission to create a more equitable environment for the Chaffey College community.
For contact information and meeting time, please visit the LGBTQIA+ Advocates Committee on the Academic Senate webpage
Frequently Asked Questions
- You can change your name by submitting a Student Update Form
- When you “Submit” the name will automatically be routed to an Admissions and Records staff member.
- What does this form update?
- Your chosen name will appear to staff when accessing your records in Colleague, to faculty on their course roster, in Chaffey’s appointment scheduling grid (SARS), and in Canvas.
- Transcripts will not reflect your chosen name but will remain under your legal name .
- If you have gone through a legal name change process, and need to update any campus documents, AB 245 requires all California community colleges, UCs and CSUs to reissue you any documents conferred with your updated name and gender free of charge.
- Currently, Chaffey College does not have an official campus policy with regards to all-gender restrooms. The Chaffey College Academic Senate has adopted the ASCCC resolution In Support of All-Gender Restrooms on California Community College Campuses.
- The Chaffey College interactive campus map includes links to the known all-gender restrooms.
- Please review the Chaffey College Hate Crimes and Hate Incidents Policies and Procedures to learn more about what is legally defined as a hate incident and the process following the reporting of an incident.
- To report, use this Hate Crime or Hate Incident form.
- To report other instances of students in distress or of concern, please review the Chaffey College Guide for Writing a BIT Report and complete the form on the Behavioral Intervention Team page
- AB 620, also known as the Equality and Equal Access in Higher Education Act, was signed into California law in 2011.
- The act requires community colleges, CSUs, and UCs to adopt and publish policies on harassment, intimidation and bullying. It also requires each college to designate an employee at each of their respective campuses as a point of contact to address the needs of LGBT faculty, staff and students. The law also revises the definition of gender to include “gender expression” for purposes of the Equity in Higher Education Act. All students have the right to a welcoming, inclusive campus atmosphere, and AB 620 helps to protect that right.
- LGBTQ+ @ CALIFORNIA'S COMMUNITY COLLEGES
- Chaffey College Academic Senate Statement in Support of Sharing Pronouns
- Chaffey College PRIDE Lib Guide
- The Trevor Project
- Human Rights Campaign
- Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Rainbow Pride Youth Alliance Center
- Planned Parenthood
- TransYouth Family Allies
- Intersex Society of North America
- National Black Justice Coalition
- Gay Asian Pacific Support Network
- Trikone (South Asian)
- ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives at the USC Libraries
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Trans Tape
- Trans Lifeline
- Classified Senate Statement of Support of the LGBTQ+ Community (in progress)
- Chaffey College Academic Senate Statement for Visible Support
- Chaffey College Faculty Senate Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, Intersexual, Asexual or Allied+ Students and Staff
- Chaffey College Faculty Senate Resolution on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (page 16-18)
- Faculty Senate adopted the following ASCCC resolutions: Support for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transsexual/Transgender (GLBT) Students and Staff and In Support of All-Gender Restrooms on California Community College Campuses