College Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents Program

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to tuition and fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system, University of California or a California Community College.

To obtain eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office or Chaffey College’s Veterans Resource Center at 909-652-6235 email:


Waiver of mandatory systemwide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University or University of California campus.


Who May Be Eligible

Plan A

The spouse, registered domestic partner, child (under the age of 27) or unmarried surviving spouse of a veteran who is totally service-connected disabled, or who has died of service-connected causes may qualify.

Plan B

The child of a veteran who has a permanent service-connected disability. The child's income and value of support provided by a parent cannot exceed the national poverty level. To view this year's poverty level, visit the California Department of Veteran Affairs.

Plan C

Any dependent of a California National Guard member, who was killed in the line of duty, died from a disability sustained while in active service, or is permanently disabled as a result of their service may be eligible. Surviving spouses who have not remarried may also eligible.

Plan D

Medal of Honor recipients and children of Medal of Honor recipients under the age of 27 may qualify.

Verification of Eligibility from the appropriate agency will be required.

If you would like to verify eligibility please use College Fee Waiver Calculator


How to Apply

  1. Complete the Admissions Application
  2. Complete theCal Vet Fee Waiver . Attach a copy of your birth certificate and your CA 540 tax return. Contact your local County Veteran Service Office for more information or application and send it to your local County Veterans Service Office. Obtain an approval letter from County Veteran Service Office.
  3. Complete the Cal Vet College Fee Waiver application and upload the approval letter to the financial aid office. Be sure to check the item that applies yes on the California College Promise application.
  4. Check your awards through the Financial Aid Self Service via the MyChaffeyportal.

What if you already paid fees?

Students may request a refund of appropriate fees by contacting the Chaffey College Cashier’s Office.

A new application must be done each year

You will need to submit a DVS40 application​ to your local Department of Veteran's Services office every year. For example, if you are planning to use your Cal Vet Fee waiver for 2022 Summer, you will need to submit a 2022-2023 Cal Vet Fee Waiver which will cover your tuition fees through Spring 2023 semester. ​