Cybersecurity Events & Activities
The cybersecurity center is focused on helping community members and students of all ages learn more about keeping themselves safe and learn about the potential dangers they may be unaware of.
Scouts: Boy Scouts & Gril Scouts Badging events
- April 1, 2023 – Girl Scouts
- March 25, 2023 – Boy Scouts
Promise Scholars: Intro to cybersecurity
- September 23, 2022
- December 9, 2022
- January 25, 2023
- February 2, 2023
Cybersecurity Month Events
Cal Poly Pomona Cybersecurity Fair
- Coming in October 2023
- Hands on Workshop: Protecting Journalism—Being Untraceable in a Dangerous World
- Description: Sadly, a journalist is killed every five days for bringing information to the public. Attacks on media professionals occur with a high frequency and are often organized by political, criminal, militia, organizations. The demo put on by the Chaffey Cybersecurity Club will focus on teaching current and future journalists the knowledge, methods, skills, and abilities to be untraceable in a dangerous world. While this hands-on lab will greatly benefit journalism and cybersecurity students, we welcome students from all backgrounds to join.
- 2022 Cybersecurity Fair Link
- Demo: Preventing Ransomware from Invading Your Home
- Description: Ransomware is an ever-evolving form of malware designed to encrypt files on your devices, turning them into hostages while making your devices unusable. Malicious actors then demand a ransom. The worst ransomware actors often target and threaten to sell or leak exfiltrated data or authentication information if the ransom is not paid.
- 2021 Cybersecurity Fair Video
- The video link shows Chaffey Cybersecurity Club teaching you the fundamentals to protect your data and help mitigate the risks associated with ransomware. It also includes how hackers use weak security spots like the recent PrintNightmare vulnerability to steal sensitive data and/or lock files. These criminals will only give you the key to access your system or return the files once you’ve paid their ransom.
- Demo: Securing Devices at Home and Work
- Description: Remote working is the new normal, but cyber threats have only grown and adapted.
- 2020 Cybersecurity Fair Link
- The 2020 Cybersecurity Fair Video will show you cybersecurity weaknesses, cyber hacks, and things you can do to secure your mobile devices and routers. Which covers your home office and your small business away from home.
- Hands on Workshop: Cyber Range, 1337 Style
- Attendees learned how to build their own personal Cyber Range 1337 Style to hone their skills.
- 2019 Cybersecurity Fair Link
- Demo: Remote Robot Shell
- Description: Chaffey demonstrated how malicious hackers can run scripts on your computer using an innocent looking USB Rubber Ducky.
- 2018 Cybersecurity Fair Link
Professional Development & Mentorship For Students From the Field
Cyber Skills & Mentorship
- January 25, 2022
- A conversation with Ash Sumer, Security & Compliance, Microsoft
Roots, Educational Journey, & Pathway of a Leading Latina in Technology
- October 8, 2022
- A conversation with Victoria Beckman, Lead Digital Crimes Unit Americas & principal Corporate Counsel at Microsoft
- October 26, 2022
- Chaffey CIS Faculty & Cybersecurity Club conducts hands-on training with the Journalism Club to help them learn how to be anonymous on the web and learn how to access onion websites.