Social Media Guidelines
Chaffey College recognizes the important role social media* has in communicating and engaging with, and providing information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public.
As an institution of higher learning, Chaffey College and its three campuses (Rancho Cucamonga, Chino and Fontana) all embrace the open exchange of ideas. The district is also committed to the highest standards of freedom of speech and expression and all are encouraged to participate in social media.
These guidelines apply to members of the Chaffey College social media community, including, but not limited to students, faculty, staff, administrators and members of the general public. These guidelines are designed to guide you through your participation on any Chaffey College social media network or online in your official capacity when you represent the college.
- Respectful Dialogue: Be respectful of the rights and opinions of other individuals. We strive to create an online community that is welcoming and mutually respectful. Civil and respectful dialogue provides productive conversations with different points of view. You are free to discuss and disagree with others regarding topics relevant to the purpose of the social media platform, but please do not use ethnic and racial slurs, hateful speech, personal attacks, abusive language, nudity or pornography.
- Protect Personal Information: Keep your personal information (phone number, address, etc.) out of your posts. Remember that everything you post on social media is public and can live forever.
- Respect for individual privacy: The College expects you to respect the privacy rights of individuals.
- Respect Intellectual Property Laws: Respect laws governing copyright and fair use. Copyright and trademark laws must be followed at all times. Chaffey College will enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
- Stay on Topic: Chaffey College social media sites are established as forums for the open and honest discussions of matters and developments related to - and limited to - the Chaffey College Mission Statement: Chaffey College improves lives and our communities through education with a steadfast commitment to equity and innovation to empower our diverse students who learn and thrive through excellent career, transfer, and workforce education programs that advance economic and social mobility for all.
- No endorsements: No advertising, solicitation or overtly favorable acknowledgments or endorsements of third-party services is permitted on any social media platforms
- Be Transparent: Be honest about who you are. Identify yourself and disclose any affiliation you have with Chaffey College; this can be as simple as a reference in your bio or an online statement. When referencing Chaffey College online, be clear that you are sharing your personal opinion vs. communicating on behalf of the college.
Chaffey College reserves the right to block or remove the content of any post that violates these guidelines or District policies without prior notice. This includes, but is not limited to, the following policies:
- Chaffey College Non-Discrimination Policy
- Chaffey College Prohibition of Harassment
- Chaffey College Sexual and Other Assaults on Campus
- Chaffey College Standards of Student Conduct
- Chaffey College Commitment to Diversity
- Chaffey College Institutional Code of Ethics
We want to remind all social media users:
- All content, information and views expressed on social media belong to the person posting and the content does not necessarily reflect the college's opinions or policies.
- Chaffey College social media is monitored by staff; however we may or may not reply to comments posted.
- The college is not responsible for unanswered posts or inaccurate information posted by others.
- Chaffey College social media platforms are intended to be a forum for discussion of topics pertaining to the college; posts that do not respect these guidelines will be removed.
For questions, comments or to report abuse, send a message to email@example.com.
*Social media includes, but is not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr, Yelp, blogs and others.