Brand Identity and Graphics Style Guide
Consistency in what we say, how we say it and how we look defines how the public views
The Chaffey College district visual identity/brand is rooted in community, value, trust and academic excellence. Our logo creates instant brand identity. Any department, program, office or division associated with the college should adhere to these Chaffey College district logo use guidelines.
Guidelines for proper use of the logo are as follows:
The Chaffey College logo and trademarks, wordmarks, slogans and other identifying symbols are the property of the Chaffey College district and are protected by federal and local copyright laws. Any unauthorized use of these or misleadingly similar names or marks, by any entity or individual without express written consent of Chaffey College district will be deemed a violation of the college’s statutory and/or common law rights, and the college will take any and all steps necessary to protect such rights. Commercial use and reproduction without express written permission is strictly prohibited. This includes use by nonbusiness groups or individuals, employees, charities and other organizations. The use of any Chaffey College District name, logo or trademark on any product or in connection with a manufacturer, wholesaler, screen printer, in-store producer or any other supplier must be managed under a written agreement.
Examples of appropriate use include:
- Publications and promotional material
- Advertisements and environmental graphics (billboards, vehicle wraps)
- College stationery, business cards, name tags
- Internal promotion and correspondence
- Campus, vehicular and other signage
- Merchandise sold on behalf of Chaffey College or using the college’s name and/or likeness
All departments and programs funded by Chaffey College must use approved college logos. Logos associated with the Chaffey College brand must be approved by the Marketing Department. Individualized logos may not be developed without approval from the Marketing Department.
Institutional Mark - Our College Logo
The official logo or trademark of Chaffey College is the mountains symbol used in conjunction with the name of the college. The logo represents the college in the community, internally and externally, locally, regionally and nationally. It must be used in all instances of marketing and identification of the college. It is against District policy to alter the Chaffey College logo.
- The logo must appear in its entirety. The two elements are inseparable and unalterable.
- No additional elements may be added.
- The mountains should never be used on their own. The name of the college in the typeface and configuration of the logo should not be shown without the mountains.
The logo must be used according to the college’s approved graphic standards. It must
not be rekeyed, redrawn, reproportioned, added to or modified in any way. Only the
official, approved version(s) of the logo are appropriate for use. The equity, outreach
and communications office is responsible for establishing and maintaining these graphic
|Logo||Description and formats|
|Chaffey Logo and Type, Greyscale, logo at left
EPS Format | JPG Format | PNG Format
|Chaffey Logo and Type, RGB, logo at left
EPS Format| JPG Format | PNG Format
|Chaffey Logo and Type, Greyscale, logo in center
EPS Format | JPG Format | PNG Format
|Chaffey Logo and Type, RGB, logo in center
EPS Format | JPG Format | PNG Format
Colors of the College
Use of the specific colors chosen to represent the college is crucial to presentation of a unified and recognizable identity. The colors used as the “school colors” are PMS (Pantone Matching System) 201 red and black.
Any version of the logo should be larger than three-quarters of an inch tall, and
smaller than two inches, except in specific cases like merchandise, business cards
The logo must always be resized in proportion. To do this in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint,
hold the shift key down when resizing. If the logo looks squished or stretched, it
A reverse is used when printing the logo on a dark background and involves “reversing” the colors. Typically this is done by making all or some of the elements white so they stand out against the darker background. A reverse of the Chaffey College logo is permissible under the following conditions:Against a solid, dark background (i.e., black or dark blue) or photograph the mountains and the type should be in white.
Avoid backgrounds with textures or mid-tones. Avoid choosing background colors that clash with the colors of the logo’s mountains.
Never use the Chaffey College logo or elements of it as a background or watermark.
The college name, when associated with the logo, should be set in Friz Quadrata, never bold, usually in upper and lowercase. Given the unique character of Friz Quadrata, it does not lend itself well to use in large blocks of text, and is best used for headings. The “PostScript Type 1” version is preferred to the “True Type” version.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
PostScript Type 1 – best for all uses, especially offset printing
TrueType – An inconsistent format, only for use on desktop printers
OpenType – A dynamic format that may not be supported by all applications
The Chaffey College seal represents the official business of the college. It symbolizes
a sense of tradition, quality and the enlightening power of knowledge. However, it
is not, and should not be construed or used as the college’s “logo.”
Appropriate uses of the seal should be limited to the official business of the college, such as student transcripts, diplomas, and official board actions.
The Chaffey College Panther logo must be used to represent the athletic department, but not the institution as a whole. The athletics logo is a brighter red of PMS 200, or: 0C, 100M, 65Y, 15K. It’s best to use in 2 color.
Social Media Guidelines
Chaffey College recognizes the important role social media* has in communicating and engaging with, and providing information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public.
As an institution of higher learning, Chaffey College and its three campuses (Rancho Cucamonga, Chino and Fontana) all embrace the open exchange of ideas. The district is also committed to the highest standards of freedom of speech and expression and all are encouraged to participate in social media.
These guidelines apply to members of the Chaffey College social media community, including, but not limited to students, faculty, staff, administrators and members of the general public. These guidelines are designed to guide you through your participation on any Chaffey College social media network or online in your official capacity when you represent the college.
- Respectful Dialogue: Be respectful of the rights and opinions of other individuals. We strive to create an online community that is welcoming and mutually respectful. Civil and respectful dialogue provides productive conversations with different points of view. You are free to discuss and disagree with others regarding topics relevant to the purpose of the social media platform, but please do not use ethnic and racial slurs, hateful speech, personal attacks, abusive language, nudity or pornography.
- Protect Personal Information: Keep your personal information (phone number, address, etc.) out of your posts. Remember that everything you post on social media is public and can live forever.
- Respect for individual privacy: The College expects you to respect the privacy rights of individuals.
- Respect Intellectual Property Laws: Respect laws governing copyright and fair use. Copyright and trademark laws must be followed at all times. Chaffey College will enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
- Stay on Topic: Chaffey College social media sites are established as forums for the open and honest discussions of matters and developments related to - and limited to - the Chaffey College Mission Statement: Chaffey College improves lives and our communities through education with a steadfast commitment to equity and innovation to empower our diverse students who learn and thrive through excellent career, transfer, and workforce education programs that advance economic and social mobility for all.
- No endorsements: No advertising, solicitation or overtly favorable acknowledgments or endorsements of third-party services is permitted on any social media platforms
- Be Transparent: Be honest about who you are. Identify yourself and disclose any affiliation you have with Chaffey College; this can be as simple as a reference in your bio or an online statement. When referencing Chaffey College online, be clear that you are sharing your personal opinion vs. communicating on behalf of the college.
Chaffey College reserves the right to block or remove the content of any post that violates these guidelines or District policies without prior notice. This includes, but is not limited to, the following policies:
- Chaffey College Non-Discrimination Policy
- Chaffey College Prohibition of Harassment
- Chaffey College Sexual and Other Assaults on Campus
- Chaffey College Standards of Student Conduct
- Chaffey College Commitment to Diversity
- Chaffey College Institutional Code of Ethics
We want to remind all social media users:
- All content, information and views expressed on social media belong to the person posting and the content does not necessarily reflect the college's opinions or policies.
- Chaffey College social media is monitored by staff; however we may or may not reply to comments posted.
- The college is not responsible for unanswered posts or inaccurate information posted by others.
- Chaffey College social media platforms are intended to be a forum for discussion of topics pertaining to the college; posts that do not respect these guidelines will be removed.
For questions, comments or to report abuse, send a message to email@example.com.
*Social media includes, but is not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr, Yelp, blogs and others.