George and William Chaffey laid the cornerstone for Chaffey College in Ontario on March 17, 1883. More than 135 years later, the vision of those brothers to provide a quality college education for students in the region remains alive.
Chaffey College has grown dramatically from its humble roots – graduating two students in 1890 to more than 2,800 in 2019. What once was a school dedicated to agriculture now serves roughly 29,000 students per year in a vast spectrum of academic, career and vocational coursework delivered in person and online.
The school has also grown geographically. The campus moved from Ontario to Rancho Cucamonga in 1960 and by 1968, the college’s service area expanded to include Chino, Chino Hills, Ontario, Montclair, Upland, Fontana and Rancho Cucamonga. Two new campuses opened in the coming years – Fontana in 1996 and Chino in 2008.
Chaffey College has developed into a thriving, nationally-recognized center for learning and continues to expand with the support of the campus and surrounding community.