Use Research Guides & Tutorials
Research guides are created by subject-specialist librarians to recommend resources and search strategies by subject (including academic disciplines and courses). These guides also include Social Issues, Awareness & Celebration, One Book One College, Readers’ Advisory, and Zines.
The following research tutorials can prepare you for your research projects. At the end of each tutorial, you will get a copy of your responses via the email you provide. You can forward the individual email to your instructor as a form of verification for completing each tutorial.
- Picking a Topic - This tutorial will help you with Picking a Topic. Have you ever been given an assignment where you get to choose the topic? Sometimes it can be an overwhelming process! Here are a few time-saving tips to help you get started with your assignment.
- Website Evaluation - Are you considering using a website for a research assignment? Not all websites are appropriate for academic research. This tutorial will help you to examine them carefully in order to determine if the information is accurate, credible, and supports your research assignment.
- Finding & Evaluating Scholarly Sources - This tutorial will help you with evaluating scholarly sources. Have you ever been given an assignment where you are required to use scholarly sources? How do you find these kinds of sources, and how are they different from other sources? Let's explore the world of scholarly publishing!
- Using Library Databases - This tutorial will help you with using library databases. To conduct college-level research it's important to use reliable, credible sources. The library databases are extremely helpful in locating college-level resources. Library databases are accessible 24/7 from any computer with an internet connection and contain many types of sources.
- Citing Sources & Avoiding Plagiarism - This tutorial will help you with citing your sources and avoiding plagiarism. Plagiarism is a big deal in colleges and universities. But how do you avoid plagiarism? What is citation, and how do you do it?
- Primary Sources for History - In this tutorial, you will learn the difference between primary and secondary sources
as it relates to the subject of History.