Undocumented Advocates Committee
Purpose: The Undocumented Advocates Committee works to develop and maintain a college-wide, coherent and effective strategy for supporting students who are protected through Assembly Bill 540, Deferred Action from Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and other undocumented students. The members provide a visible and active undocumented-ally presence to foster a welcoming environment to all students and their families.
Scope: This committee is open to all faculty, staff and administrators as well as select students. The committee will:
- Educate the campus community about the issues facing students who are eligible for AB-540 / DACA and /or undocumented.
- Collaborate with the Dreamers’ Club, the Center for Culture and Social Justice, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, the President's Equity Council, the Faculty Success Center, admissions and records, financial aid, the office of special populations and other campus departments, offices, resources and programs.
- Measure and assess the campus climate for undocumented students
- Provide oversight of the Dreamers’ webpage on the college website and the Dreamers’ Resource Center
- Collaborate with other colleges, outside agencies, advocacy groups and legislators
Reports To: Superintendent/President (or designee)
Terms of Office: Members serve three-year terms.
Tri Chairs: Faculty - Neil Watkins; Management - Laura Alvarado; Classified – Yvonne Vitt
Members: Sharon Alton, Laura Alvarado, Myra Andrade, Mithra Andrews, Luis Bohon, Angela Cardinale, Abel Chen, Jason Chevalier, Raymond Cuellar, Sonia Diaz, Elizabeth Encarnacion, Fabiolo Espitia, Sandra B. Galeas, Rachel Galindo, Thalia Garibay, Brianna Gonzales, Gabriela Gulliver, Sonia Juarez, Carlos Lequerica, Fili Michel, Kyle Pennett, Selene Pineda, Leticia Romo, Laura Santamaria-Estrada, Janice Sewell, Hector Solorzano, Osmara Torreblanca, Sonia Torres, Rebecca Trawick, Allison Tripp, Melissa Utsler, Yvonne Vitt, Neil Watkins.
Meeting day and time: : 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Zoom