All applications processed by Chaffey College are reviewed for residency status for purposes of determining eligibility for resident fees. Those who do not meet the screening criteria are required to submit a completed Residency Questionnaire to the Admissions and Records Office (T5 54012). Your information will be reviewed and you will be contacted by a Residency Advisor. Please be aware that you will be required to submit any additional documentation deemed necessary to make a final determination of your status (T5 54024).
Residency determination is based on regulations from the California Education Code, Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, and the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. In order to be classified as a resident of California for tuition purposes, students with a current status that does not preclude establishing residency must meet the requirements of:
- Physical presence in California for one year and one day prior to the first day of the semester for which you will be attending; and
- Demonstrated intent to make California your permanent residence.
Objective manifestations of intent to establish California residence include, but are not limited to:
- Possessing a California driver’s license.
- Possessing California motor vehicle license plates.
- Payment of California income taxes as a resident.
- Registering to vote and voting in California.
- Licensing from California for professional practice.
- Establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts.
- Being a petitioner of divorce in California.
Conduct inconsistent with a claim of California residence includes, but is not limited to:
- Maintaining voter registration in another state,
- Being the petitioner for divorce in another state.
- Attending an out-of-state college/university as a resident of that state.
- Declaring nonresidence for state income tax purposes.
Physical presence in California solely for educational purposes does not allow a student to establish residence, regardless of the length of time present in the state (Ed Code 68043; Title 5 54022(c)).
Please Note: All residency determinations must be made during the current term. Residency status cannot be changed once the term has ended.
There are many options for determining California residency, so every person’s situation is different. Please rely only on the information provided to you by the Admissions and Records Office.
If you have previously attended Chaffey as a nonresident and are now eligible for resident status you must submit an updated Residency Questionnaire, including the Financial Independence section. You will be required to provide proof of your financial independence. Your Residency Advisor will inform you what documents are required once your form has been reviewed in our office.
The burden is on the student to demonstrate clearly both physical presence in California and intent to establish California residence (T5 54026). Failure to provide requested documents will result in a status of nonresident.
Veteran Students – Please contact Laura Rodes in the Veteran’s Resource Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
AB 540/Dreamer Students - Please select the Dreamers/AB 540 link in the left column of the page.