Chaffey Logo link


Admissions Main Page

Important Dates

Schedule of Classes

Open Class List

Added Class List

Contact Us




Policies and Procedures

Registration Information

Cashier's Information
    Fee Information

Residency Information


Veteran Services

Enrollment/Degree Verification

Online Education

Community Education


Procedures for Faculty

admissions and records

AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request
For Eligible California High School Graduates


Any student other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all Public colleges and universities in California).

  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years. (Online High School’s must be recognized by the California department of Education).

  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalency prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency Exam).

  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

  • Students who are nonimmigrants (for example, those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.

  • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required by law.

  • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.

  • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be “nonresidents.”

  • If you qualify for the AB540 Exemption you might be eligible for certain types of
    Financial Aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information.


1. If you are a new student, submit application for admission to Chaffey College. (If you are a continuing or returning student, call the Admissions and Records Office for information.)

2. Contact the Admissions & Records Office at 909/652-6600 and ask to speak with your residency advisor.

Rev. 8/26/14

General Information | Student Resources | Instructional Programs | Campus Life | Community | Site Index | Home | MyChaffeyVIEW |

CHAFFEY COLLEGE • 5885 Haven Avenue, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737-3002 • 909/652-6000
Copyright 2014 Chaffey College. All rights reserved. Send technical questions to our Webmaster.

Back to Top