The “Math and English First Program” or ME 1st helps new students start college right. Research shows that if you master your core competencies like math and English earlier in your academic experience, you are more likely to complete your program of study and goals.
ME 1st gives students an opportunity to receive privileged registration opportunities for three semesters if earning an eligible placement recommendation for English 450 and Math 410.
Eligible students will be invited to attend an information session, where they will receive further information and must sign a contract agreeing to the terms of the program. Students who agree to take math and English for three semesters and maintain a full-time load will be granted early registration, which will help them get all of the classes they need to graduate.
In exchange for the commitment to this special program, students will receive the following benefits:
- Early registration for three semesters
- Education planning session with a counselor
- Completion of key degree requirements at the beginning of their college coursework sequences
Steps to Enrollment
- Submit an application to Chaffey College for admission. [NOTE: need hyperlink to new URL]
- Complete the Chaffey College placement process for math, English and reading
- Attend college orientation session offered through the counseling department
- Attend a ME 1st information session if you place into English 450 and Math 410
- Complete the required contract, which will be given at the information session
- Submit the contract to the counseling department or at the information session
- Make an appointment for your education plan session
- Complete the education plan with a counselor
- Get your early registration permission from admissions
- Register for your classes
- Succeed at Chaffey College!
- Enroll in and maintain a minimum of 12 units per semester for three semesters, including math and English courses.
- Meet with a counselor and complete a student educational plan prior to enrolling in first semester courses.
- Enroll in and complete both math and English course sequences as prescribed on student educational plan every semester for three consecutive semesters.
- Make satisfactory progress each semester by passing all enrolled classes with a grade of C or better.
- Do not withdraw from enrolled classes with a grade of W.
- Meet with a success guide during the second semester of participating in the program to evaluate progress on goal.
- Meet with a counselor to confirm major and career choice and revise student educational plan during the third semester of participating in program.
Students who fail to meet all of the requirements will lose their eligibility for early registration privileges.