Distance Education @ Chaffey College
Before you begin teaching online, you need to ask yourself whether online teaching is good for you. We all have our own teaching style, and your teaching style and online may or may not go well together, just like not everyone is a good lecturer, or not everyone likes to use group discussions. It all depends on you and your teaching style.
In addition, developing an online course is a huge time commitment. The rewards are many, but the effort is great.
Before you sign up for an online course at Chaffey, take this quick quiz to see if online teaching is right for you. Start the quiz.
If you are a new instructor, there are several steps you must take in order to become a Distance Education instructor at Chaffey. Here are the steps:
- Take the Quiz to determine if teaching a hybrid or online course is for you.
- Meet the requirements as outlined in the Chaffey College Distance Education Plan. Those requirements are:
- Have completed both departmentally approved training and the Instructor Qualification Program (this is a Blackboard course); or
- Have a certificate of completion in Distance Education teaching from a reliable insitution such as UCLA online teaching program or the Cerro Coso Online Educators certificate; or
- Be able to demonstrate having had a successful experience in teaching distance education at Chaffey or at a similar institutuion. The evidence of this will be evaluated by a faculty subcommittee of the Distance Education Committee.
- Call 909-652-6970 to discuss what you want to do and how the office of Distance Education can help you. This meeting will take approximately an hour.
- Make sure you have followed the appropriate steps to have the Curriculum Committee approve your course for online instruction. You can find more information by clicking here.
- Check out the Online Pedagogy resources page--remember, teaching online IS different than teaching a face-to-face class!
- Complete the Distance Education Course Proposal Request Form. Your class WILL NOT be scheduled until you complete this form. Click here for detailed instructions on how to fill out this form.
- Get a Blackboard course shell.
- Go to Blackboard training course to help you get started.
- Begin building your course.
- If you need special software, check out Chaffey's Software Bank.